Our thoughts go out to the many people across our region whose lives and livelihoods have been impacted by this current flooding event.
As the water recedes in some areas, unfortunately the danger has not passed. Floodwaters can be contaminated with all sorts of nasty things which can make people unwell. As well as the associated dangers of fallen power lines, and damaged infrastructure.
If you have been recently impacted by flooding, we encourage you to read this article as a reminder about your personal safety as clean-up efforts get underway.
Keeping well after a flood event
- Wear appropriate clothing like closed-in shoes or boots and gloves when in contact with floodwaters
- Cover cuts or abrasions to ensure dirty water doesn’t cause an infection. If you get a cut or injured, disinfect the wounds, and cover immediately with waterproof dressings
- Disinfect all surfaces, including kitchen cutlery or utensils, that have come into contact with floodwater with household bleach or hot soapy water
- Always wash your hands with soap and clean water before eating or drinking
- Remove any items from your yard that could be a potential breeding ground for mosquitoes and wear insect repellent when outdoors.
Food safety guidelines
- Throw out any food that has been in floodwater
- Throw out any fresh food that has been unrefrigerated for more than four hours
- If power has been cut off for more than 24 hours throw out the food in the freezer
- If in doubt throw it out.
You may be eligible for Emergency Hardship Assistance grants. Visit www.communityrecovery.qld.gov.au or phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 for more information.
Restock your grab and go pack!
Each year in Queensland we face a range of hazards, including floods, bushfires, cyclones, and severe storms. It’s important to be prepared and restock or update your grab and go pack.
Below is our list of items to include in your grab and go emergency pack. Every situation is different, which is why its important to customize to your family, pets and needs.
- Non-perishable food
- First aid kit
- Essential toiletries
- 10L water
- Important documents
- Phone and portable phone charger
- Torch and batteries
- Sturdy gloves
- Wipes and hand sanitiser
- Torch and batteries
For a more extensive list, click here.